29 Jan – 04 Feb 2017 Update
Quote of the Week
“If you keep hanging on to whatever you think you are in yourself, you can be absolutely certain you will never know the profound peace that comes from allowing the Lord Jesus Christ to assume responsibility for your life. Death to yourself means trading what you are for what Christ is. — Ian Thomas
Dear faithful partners,
Thank you for continuing to pray for us. Sorry I was not able to send an update last week. I was away on a work project and the internet there was quite spotty. Next weekend I will be back there again, so, I may not be able to get an update off next week either. But, we’ll see.
It was so great to be able to be out of the office for a few days. With the medical evacuation of the center manager couple, our team in Madang was finding it difficult to manage getting all the houses ready for the 7 new families that arrived this past week. So, myself and a friend went down for 8 days to help get a couple houses ready for the new folks coming. I have attached some pictures below.
Here are some things you can be praying for this week.
- This is the final week of teaching for the Mali Baining team. Please pray as they finish up the lessons and present the death burial and resurrection next weekend that God will prepare the hearts of the people. This weekend they will teach the death and burial, then on Monday next week they will be presenting the resurrection and ascension.
- Robin and I have the privilege of participating in a couples retreat this coming weekend. A church group from the US has provided for a retreat at one of the nice resorts in Madang. They are providing all the expenses for the weekend, food, lodging etc. We just have to get there. We are looking forward to getting away just the two of us for the weekend.
- Praise; Our furlough tickets are purchased! Last week we took the plunge and booked our tickets back to the US. We will be arriving in Michigan around the 14th of June. We look forward to seeing as many as we can during the next year. We will start lining things up as the time gets closer. But, for any of you churches, if you have a missions conference during 2017-2018 please let us know. We would love to participate.
- Continue to pray for Robin as she tries to communicate these math concepts to her 7th and 8th grade students. At times it’s a real challenge for them to grasp the new material.
- Continue to pray for David as he works toward being able to pass off everything he does. There’s lots of things to finish up and document for the person who will be doing my job next year. Pray also that we can find someone who can take these things on. Some of these things are very critical to keeping us in good relationships with the PNG government. So, they really can’t just be left undone.
Travis and I had a great time in Madang. Our main focus was trying to finish up the house that I helped start with Andrew’s class mates a few years ago. I am not sure if you remember that or not. But, it was a real honor to go back and be able to finish up the house I had the privilege of starting. We were able to get everything ready. The day we flew back to Goroka, the new family moved in! Praise the Lord we were able to go. It was a huge boost to the team down there.
This week I have been trying to get caught up after being gone for 8 days. One of the biggest things I need to finish is the government report of all the training and development we have done in 2016. I am training our PNGian secretary to be able to do the report. So, hopefully with some help, she should be able to do most of it next year.
I am also working with the company who developed the HR system that we use to be able to auto-generate all our government forms. This will be a huge help to our government reps especially when they have 150-180 people’s paperwork to renew all at the same time. I really need to have these things running effectively before I leave so someone else doesn’t have to come in and try and figure out what I did.
David Watters for all of us